The Nevin Economic Research Institute
The Nevin Economic Research Institute, with offices in Dublin and Belfast, is a research organisation which, at its core, has a vision of the achievement of a better, fairer society. It aims, through the provision of world-class research and analysis, to contribute towards the construction of alternative perspectives and possibilities that will lead to the creation of an economy that works for society. It is supported by a number of unions affiliated to the Irish Congress of Trade Unions.
The remit of the Institute is to:
- advance knowledge and understanding of economics and the social sciences, with particular reference to the economic and social conditions in or affecting the island of Ireland;
- undertake, to the benefit of the public, research and analysis on the impact of economic policy development and its effects towards the attainment of a more equitable and just society;
- publish and promote research findings in order to advance awareness and comprehension of economic theory;
- undertake activities to ensure a broad dissemination of the research and analysis; and
- provide education, training and capacity building programmes to increase understanding of economic and social science policy among the general public.
The Institute, through its Director, is accountable to the Chair of the Institute's Governing Council in regard to organisational and financial affairs. The Council is composed of representatives of all the sponsoring unions. The research work programme of the Institute is developed by the Director and staff of the Institute in consultation with the Chair and a steering committee of the Governing Council. Work published in the name of the Institute is the sole responsibility of the Director of the Institute. An Academic Peer Review Panel will assist in reviewing published material from the standpoint of methodological standards and quality of publications.